WENDY PARKER — CAREER SUMMARY
EXPERIENCED MULTIMEDIA JOURNALIST:
* Editor, site manager, multimedia journalist for local news site
* Innovative project leader for various online newsroom initiatives
* Skilled practitioner of Web tools and online journalism strategies
* Multimedia storyteller with photos, maps and audio and video experience
* Energetic trainer in online news staff development efforts
* Versatile reporter, freelance contributor and blogger
* Self-motivated learner and digital media enthusiast
* Managed local news site, with duties including reporting, editing, freelance assignment and payment, social media and engagement strategies, photography and video shooting and editing. Executed various special projects in Web journalism as an editor and producer at ajc.com (Atlanta Journal-Constitution). Collaborated across newsroom to plan, produce and maximize coverage. Enacted search engine optimization practices to exceed traffic goals and help readers find ajc.com content. Introduced social media tools, including Facebook, to ajc.com pages and expanded the ajc.com brand to the social Web. Designed strategies for leveraging coverage of special topics. Recognized by department managers with top employee honor for managing ajc.com coverage of 2008 Peachtree Road Race.
* Developed training skills while teaching ajc.com colleagues content management system practices, digital proficiency and understanding of online journalism trends. Launched sports group use of various multimedia storytelling tools. Created and monitored blogs on hot sports topics. Designed pages and managed coverage of college football bowl games, NFL draft, fall of Michael Vick and other events. Planned daily and special projects coverage during key stage of ajc.com’s growth.
* Devised reporting niches as a sportswriter, notably on soccer and women’s athletics. Promoted Atlanta Journal-Constitution internationally in being assigned to 1996 and 2000 Olympics and 2002 World Cup. Enhanced its strong reputation as a member of its college football coverage team, assigned to Georgia, Georgia Tech, ACC, SEC and bowl games. Cultivated expertise on Title IX subjects in coverage of women’s basketball and soccer.
PUBLIC BROADCASTING ATLANTA, Atlanta, Ga. (2015)
Web producer for WABE.org, website for NPR affiliate station. Duties include packaging daily story content and developing story planning and communications processes with radio staff and other units the organization.
EAST COBB PATCH, Marietta Ga. (2010-2014)
Local editor for news site in suburban Atlanta.
In charge of a variety of editorial, managerial and promotional tasks.
ATLANTA JOURNAL-CONSTITUTION, Atlanta, Ga. (1990-2008)
Web editor, producer and project manager, ajc.com.
Sportswriter covering college football and basketball and soccer.
Suburban reporter covering local politics and government.
FREELANCE WRITER, Basketball Times (1991-Present)
Women’s basketball correspondent for influential monthly publication.
• Creator/Writer, Sports Biblio, a site devoted to sports books, history and culture. News, views and reviews, plus a weekly newsletter and podcast.
• Contributor, Blue Star Media, which covers the world of youth, college and international basketball. I provided preliminary content consultation for the site, which launched in 2013.
* “Beyond Title IX: The Cultural Laments of Women’s Sports.” Published in June 2012, this book distills my years reporting on gender equity developments in American sports, mostly at the college level.
* Named to Sports Illustrated’s “Twitter 100” list of top sports Tweeters.
* Included among notable Sports Business People on Twitter by sports marketing firm The Telios Group.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT, continuing education in digital media
* Advanced iMovie expertise employed for regular video editing assignments.
* Took “Entrepreneurial Journalism” course online via The Poynter Institute, Summer 2012, and selected courses on Poynter’s NewsU training module.
* Advanced social media and engagement training via Knight Digital Media Center, July 2011.
* Multimedia training at Poynter Institute (Final Cut Pro, Soundslides, Audacity), Nov. 2008.
* Trained in WordPress site-building basics; have attended WordCamp and Business of WordPress conferences in Atlanta.
* Proficient in HTML, Photoshop, social media and SEO tools.
Troy University, Troy, Ala. Bachelor of Arts, history (double major in journalism)
Online News Association
Atlanta Press Club